zfs send recv be newby question
Joe Veliscos via illumos-zfs
2014-08-04 09:36:02 UTC
Hi all,

If you snapshot a BE on one system with the beadm command, is it possible
to zfs send / recv that snaphot to another identical system into a testBE
(in order to test that same BE on that system) ? If yes can someone tell me
the commands how to do that?

What I've done is:
- create a be on system 1 called system1
- snapshot that be on system 1 called rpool/ROOT/***@monday
- create a testbe on system 2 called fromsystem1

zfs send rpool/ROOT/***@monday | ssh system2 zfs recv -F
rpool/ROOT/fromsystem1

but then I get: cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination
'rpool/ROOT/fromsystem1' is a clone
must destroy it to overwrite it

I have tried several combinations of commands but no luck

Regards,

Joe

Fajar A. Nugraha via illumos-zfs
2014-08-04 10:29:18 UTC
On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Joe Veliscos via illumos-zfs <
Post by Joe Veliscos via illumos-zfs
Hi all,
If you snapshot a BE on one system with the beadm command, is it possible
to zfs send / recv that snaphot to another identical system into a testBE
(in order to test that same BE on that system) ? If yes can someone tell me
the commands how to do that?
- create a be on system 1 called system1
- create a testbe on system 2 called fromsystem1
rpool/ROOT/fromsystem1
but then I get: cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination
'rpool/ROOT/fromsystem1' is a clone
must destroy it to overwrite it
I have tried several combinations of commands but no luck
IIRC beadm should recognize any fs under rpool/ROOT. So you won't need to
"create a testbe on system 2 called fromsystem1".

Then again, there are other additional configuration involved (e.g. grub),
so you can probably try destroying (or renaming) rpool/ROOT/fromsystem1 to
something else before "zfs recv".
--
Fajar

Joe Veliscos via illumos-zfs